Sunday 22 July 2012

The Artist is Present - Electric Cinema - Saturday 21st July

Today started off with sewing class seven, to progress on my first vintage dress. Actually, my first ever garment made.  I have the most amazing tutor


After an enjoyable class I set out to the Electric Cinema to watch a recommended documentary on the life and work of Marina Abramovic.  In advance of the film I was unsure if I would understand, appreciate or enjoy the film.  To open ones mind I would highly recommend and can say I sensed from the documentary Marina has great humour, warmth, connection with her audience, underlying sorrow and appreciation for the highs and lows that shape and motivate.  A fabulous film!

A clip about Marina Abramovic and The Artist is Present








Marina Abramovic (Serbian Cyrillic), born November 30, 1946 in Belgrade, is a New York-based Serbian performance artist who began her career in the early 1970s. Active for over three decades, she has recently begun to describe herself as the "grandmother of performance art". Abramovic's work explores the relationship between performer and audience, the limits of the body, and the possibilities of the mind. 


The Electric Cinema is a cinema and sound recording facility in Birmingham, England. It opened in Station Street in 1909, showing its first silent film on 27 December of that year, and is now the oldest working cinema in the country.  It predates its namesake, the Electric Cinema in Notting Hill, London, by around two months. Originally called the Electric Theatre, the cinema has undergone a number of name changes since its opening, but returned as the Electric in October 1993.




 

 When walking home, reflecting on Marina and her work, I capture images that for some reason distract  my thought.










No comments:

Post a Comment